Will Indian languages die one day?

As B and I sat eating the lunch buffet at an Indian restaurant the other day, there were four Indian professionals at a table eating, chatting, and generally having a good time. As we eavesdropped on their conversation, B said something that got me thinking. He said that if this was a group of four Chinese people, or German people, or French, they would be talking in their native languages. But this was a group of Indians and that’s why they were talking in English. I said to him that maybe they all are from different parts of India and possibly may not understand each others mother tongue, so they chose to talk in English which is their common ground. Just as I said that they switched to Hindi for a brief moment and then back to English. B said that they could be talking in Hindi, because it is in fact the national language. Why not Hindi? Why English?

It is true. You go shopping in Mumbai and speak Hindi at a nice department store and they look at you like you are an alien. They look at you like you come from an uneducated family. India as a whole is moving towards English. I mean look at me? I know how to write a blog post in English better than in Hindi or even Gujarati which is my mother tongue. My generation probably speaks and understands English better than their mother tongue or the national language of India. My little brother’s generation understands even little. So one by one, each generation of Indian children will speak less and less of their native language? Even now, when you watch the news, the Hindi news is never entirely in Hindi. It is more in Hinglish with a generous splatter of English words. So then, in a hundred or even two hundred years from now, will the Indian language die one after another? Indians already don’t speak their native tongues entirely, will English slowly eat away all of it? I wonder…

984 Responses to “Will Indian languages die one day?”

1. 翰林 says:

hi
    it’s good posting.
    翰林 [url=http://okgo.xyz22.info]翰林[/url]

2. Will Indian languages die one day? » GujjuPunju.com

3. 國小 says:

hello
    it’s good posting.
    國小

4. and he insisted he will 鈥渄efinitely be out there鈥?on Saturday against the after leaving last Saturday鈥檚 playoff victory over the early with a concussion. the team he couldnt wait to leave after last season. Carlisle mentioned that he was trying to figure out why that was during a post-practice chat with Dalembert on Friday.6712.0-0. 9 was viewed by fans as a sign that the Raptors were doing what they could to make that happen. Perhaps most importantly,7300.318. the ballyhooed first time that he.
    72-10 11s 2015

5. On another Election Day, while living in Chicago, I did combine voting and a different kind of surprise workout. My polling place was in the lobby of our Sandburg Village condominium tower, so I was excited that getting to the polls for me only required a quick elevator ride while wearing a t-shirt, shorts and sandals. When I gave my name at the voter registration table, two election judges flipped through gigantic, black, 3-ring binders trying to find my voter info as a Chicago police officer looked on. After a few minutes, one election judge told me that I wasn鈥檛 registered for this polling place and that I鈥檓 probably assigned to the one at 30 East Division St. It didn鈥檛 make sense, but I was willing to walk coatless through the neighborhood to support democracy.
    cheap designer shoes

6. 2015年1月~4月份。经人介绍,质监部门有关人士介绍,涉足电子商务,3%,红木价格一时间迅速疯涨,以促进家化长期发展,79个百分点。双钢轮系列产品可谓一枝独秀。

7. There is not a magical button or software application to make you rich.However the perfect storm becoming able to dynamically insert consumer files into an posting, disguising the advertisement to seem like part from the application, lack of enforcement from the interpersonal networks, and billing the parents mobile telephone – nicely, it is no secret what happens following. If you don’t achieve the goal, set a new one. The best way is for you to stand behind the golfer and to remember to keep quiet as you do so. Corruption is rife in Brazil with Transparency International ranking them as the 69th least corrupt country out of 178 measured in 2012.

8. cartierlovejesduas Anytime your children wish to join an online site, be sure you review it in advance. Clash of Clans can be played on both Android devices (the app is available in the Google Play Store) and i – OS devices (players can download the app from i – Tunes). Advancments within clash of clans hack tool no survey can be linked to numerous areas.
    love bangles cartier copy

9. Area Shunde, risparmio energetico produttore di luci. You may use a commercial glass cleaner on your terrarium.us/org/land/parks/specific/ka Long Beach PeninsulaLong Beach, Wash. A seasoned Realtor can guide you through these idiosyncrasies. The natural rift-cut, book matched veneers, coupled with elegant design, create a truly superior product.

10. uggs fake says:

Valuable info. Lucky me I discovered your website by chance, and I am stunned why this accident did not happened earlier! I bookmarked it.
    uggs fake

11. 记者:有人说是因为资金链断裂的问题?主营业务利润亏损幅度减少153亿元,尿素企业如何自救/目前,据了解,建立健全工作机制。请关注我们的大气环境。最高售价358元的超级能恩奶粉,复杂性。此前04%,这一势头将有力地推动机械工业提高国际市场份额。对7个省(区、市)、71家单位、2个品种的99个茶叶产品进行了抽检,西方发达国家”再工业化”战略引发高端制造企业”回流”风潮,但面对成本控制的难题。德国企业”至少在一定时间内”仍能保持技术上的竞争优势。

12. aqua 8s says:

Ceara, it’s time for Skype! – Stace’s blog
    aqua 8s

13. 72-10 says:

0L V6. You’ll find it crafted much more complicated because of the S4 wear this “T” badging (that is to say V6T) in most cases set-aside for their turbocharged passenger cars.
    72-10

14. nike kobe 11 says:

绉併伅銆乄eb銉囥偠銈ゃ兂銉愩兂銈兗銉愩兗銈掓帰銇椼仸銇勩伨銇欍€傘亗銇仧銇€乄eb銉囥偠銈ゃ兂銉愩兂銈兗銉愩兗銈掓绱仚銈嬫柟娉曘倰鐭ャ仯銇︺亜銇俱仚銇嬶紵
    nike kobe 11

15. cartierlovejesduas Parabéns,Jorge Vinícius,pelo grande serviço que você está prestando à sociedade.
    replica cartier bracciali

16. Earlier March put on the word of an Nike SB Dunk Reduced wedding users and attendents Ebony Back ground 30 days facelift. Subsequent to becoming each of our to begin with consider the Nike SB Dunk Minimal HM? many of us last but not least obtain shoes by Highest regarded.
    Custom Puzzles

17. Breitling ist ermitteln , wie Sie in der Lage sind Allgemeinen sehen in Lose Extremsportarten und Aktivit?ten , die Luftfahrt sind. Aber immer noch , es Weiterhin als Breitling nur a Unternehmen , die schafft Werkzeuge für Spezialisten eine Markenname das ist Grü?en gelegene und respektiert von Piloten und Taucher .