Bread Pakode ki Kasam

Band Baaja Baaraat is the latest romcom and also a hit from the YRF camp. I think the movie resonates with so many people because the characters are very real, the situations very real, and the things they do are what normal people would do like eating Bread Pakoda. It was also funny to see when Bittoo Sharma ordered their lunch, “do manchurian, ek veg, ek chicken, do chow mien, ek veg, ek chicken” That’s usually our order! Everytime, we order from the Thai place around the corner, I say “Two Pad Khi Maos one veg and one chicken” Anyhow, that’s not what this is about.

There is another scene in the beginning where Bittoo Sharma is trying to convince Shruti Kakkar to make him her business partner and swears on Bread Pakoda that he won’t be hitting on her and they will just remain business partners.

I did not grow up in the North and have no idea what Bread Pakoda even tastes like. It looked quite yummy while they were eating it. Ofcourse, as soon as Bittoo Sharma says “bread pakode ki kasam” my hubby says “can you make this at home? I haven’t had it in a long time” I roll my eyes thinking chalo one more food demand. Yet another thing he misses from back home and we can’t get it here. So I asked him to describe what it tasted like.

Here is the exact description he gave me:
“You take two slices of bread and stuff it with potato mixture, just like the ones for pau vada. The take the slices and marinate it in that besan thing with the red chilli and stuff and then fry it”

Great then! Since he is no good at cooking, I am going to have to try bread pakoda sometime soon to satisfy his craving. They say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach and B turns into this little kid when he is craving something. Gently reminding me every other day with some like “yaar bread pakoda khaane ka bahot man kar raha hai” and all those other lines that make me say “allright I’ll try!”

The things I do to make B happy! So needless to say, I will be searching for recipes online and will be making something that sounds like B’s description. Sigh.

8 Responses to “Bread Pakode ki Kasam”

1. Ekta says:

Soo Sweet!

I made bread pakoras a couple of weekends ago…but just made the simple version…cut of the crusts,. cut bread slice in 2 triangles, dip in the besan batter n deep fry…enjoy with ketchup+CHAI.

2. Ekta says:

ohh btw aren’t bread pakoras like Universal all over the country…best enjoyed on a rainy day!

3. kaush says:

Believe it or not, I have never tried bread pakodas….growing up in South Gujarat, I ate a lot of vada pavs and chat and all the other street food but never bread pakodas…..the simple version sounds easy enough…watched Manjula Aunty’s video on youtube :-D lets see, trying bread pakoda for dinner tonight. lets see…..and rainy day + chai staples very regular pakoras with potatoes and onion sliced and fried…i will have to add bread pakoras to the list…..

4. anks says:

awww…….so sweet….. how was it?

5. Manu says:

Bread pakodas are one of the best things you can eat up north. We used to have it for breakfast and/or evening tea snack.
    And you are right, love this movie. Infact I ranked it as my top favorite from last year…or maybe even last 2 years. So real, simply amazing!

6. Ekta says:

Kaush, phir try kare kya tune bread pakore?? I am watching this movie….saw half of it yday n lets see if I might get to catch the remaining half today..all thanks to a hyper toddler in da house!

7. kaush says:

So ladies, I did end up making the Bread pakoras, B LOVED them! I was so proud. Either they were really good or he hadn’t had them in so long that he forgot what the real deal tasted like haha… sent a couple to my parents and my brother and he called back to say he needs a batch every weekend to last him for a week when he goes away to college. I enjoyed them too. I made the stuffed with the potato kind and also straight in the batter. Straight in the batter ate up so much oil but it tasted so yummy! The ones with the potato and chutney in between were pretty awesome too. B wants me to make em every week, i told him he was mad….you all have any other ways you make these? or any other ways youve had these?

8. Ekta says:

I’ve added a paneer stuffing vale too….at some dhaba……loooooooong time back.